Today most Adventist still subscribe to the Review and Herald, July 13, 1897 Statement:
“WHEN YOU OBEY THE DECREE THAT COMMANDS YOU TO CEASE FROM LABOR ON SUNDAY AND WORSHIP GOD, . . . YOU CONSENT TO RECEIVE THE MARK OF THE BEAST.”
Many of them even subscribe to the later statements made in the early 20th century which suddenly said IT WAS NOW OK TO CEASE FROM LABOR ON SUNDAY AND WORSHIP GOD, WITHOUT FEAR OF RECEIVING THE MARK OF THE BEAST.
When Adventists are confronted with the contradictory nature of the two positions in Ellen White’s writings they often devise a NEW Mark of the Beast scenario.
Some modern Adventist’s teach THE MARK OF THE BEAST HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SUNDAY WHATSOEVER, but is merely the refusal to keep the Sabbath.Despite the fact that taking this position FLIES IN THE FACE OF EVERY ADVENTIST STATEMENT ON THE MARK FO THE BEAST FROM 1850-1899!
So why all the fuss about a National Sunday Law being enforced? After all Ellen White said ,
“MAKE NO DEMONSTRATION ON SUNDAY IN DEFIANCE OF LAW.” – Testimonies Vol. 9 p. 235
Speaking out of both sides of her mouth! On one had she says if you obey the Sunday Law you get the mark of the Beast. Then she says go ahead and obey the Sunday law!
Ellen White, Great Controversy, p. 281. wrote: “The keeping of the counterfeit Sabbath is the reception of the mark.”
Ellen White, Testimonies, vol. 8, p. 117. wrote: “The sign, or seal, of God is revealed in the observance of the seventh-day Sabbath, the Lord’s memorial of creation. . . . The mark of the beast is the opposite of this–the observance of the first day of the week.”
Ellen White, Evangelism, p. 234. wrote: “The mark of the beast is the papal sabbath.”
Ellen White, Letter 31, 1898. wrote: “What Is the Mark of the Beast?–John was called to behold a people distinct from those who worship the beast and his image by keeping the first day of the week. The observance of this day is the mark of the beast.”
Ellen White, Seventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary, vol. 7, p. 980. wrote: “When the test comes, it will be clearly shown what the mark of the beast is. It is the keeping of Sunday.”
By 1909 the Adventist prophetess, Ellen White had completely controverted her earlier 19th century teaching, It was now OK to….
- · Cease From Work on Sunday
- · Conduct Religious Services on Sunday
- · Assemble with other Christians for worship on Sunday
- · Sing genuine revival hymns on Sunday
- · Preach intensely interesting sermons on Sunday
- · Conduct Missionary Outreach Work on Sunday
- · Devote Sunday to writing religious articles.
Since Ellen White specifically said The Mark of the Beast is “is the keeping of Sunday,” in one place and in another said it is, “the observance of the first day of the week” WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT “KEEPING” AND “OBSERVING THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK” IS IF IT IS NOT THE THINGS I JUST LISTED ABOVE?
Let’s go through Ellen White’s CHECK LIST
IS THE MARK OF THE BEAST?
- Ceasing From Work on Sunday. . . . ELLEN WHITE SAYS NO!
- Conducting Religious Services on Sunday. . . . ELLEN WHITE SAYS NO!
- Assembling with other Christians for worship on Sunday. . . . ELLEN WHITE SAYS NO!
- Singing genuine revival hymns on Sunday. . . . ELLEN WHITE SAYS NO!
- Preaching intensely interesting sermons on Sunday. . . . ELLEN WHITE SAYS NO!
- Conducting Missionary Outreach Work on Sunday. . . . ELLEN WHITE SAYS NO!
- Devoting Sunday to writing religious articles.. . . . ELLEN WHITE SAYS NO!
1. WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW “KEEPING” AND “OBSERVING THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK,” CONSTITUTES THE MARK OF THE BEAST SINCE IT IS NONE OF THE ABOVE THINGS?
2. BY ALL MEANS DEAR SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST BROTHERS AND SISTERS, PLEASE GIVE ME THE “THIRD ANGELS MESSAGE” AND TELL ME WHAT THE MARK OF THE BEAST IS? Anyone?