Answer: the Sabbath is NOT a moral law!
Friends, think about this for a moment. Regardless of what country, what culture or language you were raised with we ALL have morality stamped within our conscience. Adolescent children all around the world naturally know it is wrong to lie, to steal, and to murder and commit adultery. However no one naturally feels guilty about not resting 1 day in 7. That is the difference between a rule that is based on moral right and wrong, and a rule that is practiced because of a ceremonial nature.
Adventists say, “All other special Jewish days, seasons and yearly festivals are ceremonial, but not the weekly Sabbath!” Yet Sabbath keeping” is by definition a ceremonial law.
- The Sabbath is not a moral law because:
- The Sabbath is not a moral law because the priests were allowed to profane it: Matthew 12:5; Numbers 28:9-10; Joshua 6:15; 1 Kings 20:29; John 5:10
- The Sabbath is not a moral law because a man could break it without sin to save an animal from a pit.
- The Sabbath is not a moral law because Jesus broke the Sabbath without sin John 5:10.(Before you deny it see verse #6 below)
- The Sabbath is not a moral law because God never intended for all mankind to keep it: God NEVER charged the Gentiles with breaking it, much less even keeping it. Only the Jews were expected to keep it. Interesting that God charges the Gentiles many times for breaking all the 9 moral commandments on the tablets of stone, but NEVER ONCE says anything about breaking the Sabbath!
- If the Sabbath is moral, then why did God grow weary of them keeping it? God never said he was weary of them NOT stealing or NOT committing adultery. But God did say he was could not endure their keeping the Sabbath: Isa 1:13-14 “Bring your worthless offerings no longer, Incense is an abomination to Me. New moon and Sabbath, the calling of assemblies- I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly. I hate your new moon festivals and your appointed feasts. They have become a burden to Me.” Such is never said of any moral command anywhere in the Bible! Think about it!
Let all Sabbatarians comprehend this bit of irrefutable logic:
- God NEVER grows weary of men keeping moral laws.
- God DID grow weary of men keeping the 4th commandment (Sabbath law)
- Therefore the Sabbath is NOT a moral law!
1. Matthew 12:4.
4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, WHICH WAS NOT LAWFUL FOR HIM TO EAT, NEITHER FOR THEM WHICH WERE WITH HIM, BUT ONLY FOR THE PRIESTS?
- a) Exodus 29:32-33.
And Aaron and his sons shall eat the flesh of the ram, and the bread that is in the basket, by the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
And they shall eat those things wherewith the atonement was made, to consecrate and to sanctify them: BUT A STRANGER SHALL NOT EAT THEREOF, BECAUSE THEY ARE HOLY.
2. Matthew 12:5-8.
Or have ye not read in the law, how that ON THE SABBATH DAYS THE PRIESTS IN THE TEMPLE PROFANE THE SABBATH, AND ARE BLAMELESS?
But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.
- a) Numbers 28:9-10.
And on the sabbath day two lambs of the first year without spot, and two tenth deals of flour for a meat offering, mingled with oil, and the drink offering thereof:
This is the burnt offering of every sabbath, beside the continual burnt offering, and his drink offering.
- b) Exodus 35:3.
Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the sabbath day.
3. John 7:22-23.
Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers;) and YE ON THE SABBATH DAY CIRCUMCISE A MAN. IF A MAN ON THE SABBATH DAY RECEIVE CIRCUMCISION, THAT THE LAW OF MOSES SHOULD NOT BE BROKEN; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?
4. Joshua 6:15.
And it came to pass ON THE SEVENTH DAY, that they rose early about the dawning of the day, and COMPASSED THE CITY AFTER THE SAME MANNER SEVEN TIMES: only on that day they compassed the city seven times.
5.1 Kings 20:29.
And they pitched one over against the other seven days. And so it was, THAT IN THE SEVENTH DAY THE BATTLE WAS JOINED: and the children OF ISRAEL SLEW OF THE SYRIANS AN HUNDRED THOUSAND FOOTMEN IN ONE DAY.
The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: IT IS NOT LAWFUL FOR THEE TO CARRY THY BED.
a) Nehemiah 13:19.
And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that THERE SHOULD NO BURDEN BE BROUGHT IN ON THE SABBATH DAY.
b) Jeremiah 17:21.
Thus saith the LORD; Take heed to yourselves, and BEAR NO BURDEN ON THE SABBATH DAY, NOR BRING IT IN BY THE GATES OF JERUSALEM;
c) Jeremiah 17:22.
NEITHER CARRY FORTH A BURDEN OUT OF YOUR HOUSES ON THE SABBATH DAY, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers.
d) Jeremiah 17:24.
And it shall come to pass, if ye diligently hearken unto me, saith the LORD, to BRING IN NO BURDEN THROUGH THE GATES OF THIS CITY ON THE SABBATH DAY, but hallow the sabbath day, to do no work therein;
e) Jeremiah 17:27.
But if ye will not hearken unto me to hallow the sabbath day, and NOT TO BEAR A BURDEN, even entering in at the gates of Jerusalem on the sabbath day; then will I kindle a fire in the gates thereof, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.
- Sabbatarian argument: the Sabbath law is a moral law merely because it is in the ten commandments.
- What does the argument: “because it is in the 10 commandments” prove? NOTHING! The Sabbath law is not “moral” just because it was numbered with the other nine commandments. They are assuming the point to be proved and this is circular reasoning!
- Anybody, except someone deceived by a false prophet (Ellen G. White), can clearly understand and see that the Sabbath law is a ceremonial law.
- “Moral and Ceremonial” laws as Sabbatarians define “law” are often linked: Leviticus 19:4-5; Ezekiel 18:6; Acts 15:29
- Sabbatarian argument: the Sabbath law is moral BECAUSE violation was punishable by death: Exodus 31:15;35:2. Yet the truth is that all the following non-moral or ceremonial laws were punishable by death:
- Pharaohs firstborn slain for not letting Israel go.
- For touching the Ark: 2 Samuel 6:7
- Aaron’s sons, (Nadab and Abihu) priests were killed for violating ceremonial law when offering incense to Jehovah: Leviticus 10:1-5
- medium or a spiritist: Leviticus 20:27
- for touching the mount Horeb: Exodus 19:12-13
- Unauthorized entrance into the holy place of the tabernacle: Leviticus 16:2
- For looking into the Ark: 1 Samuel 6:19
- For disobeying ceremonial commands of any Priest: Deuteronomy 17:12-13
- Cut off = death penalty: Exodus 31:14 “Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people.”
- Sabbatarian argument: the Sabbath is moral because spoken by God verbally and personally. Yet God verbally and personally spoke many “ceremonial laws”:
- God verbally and personally spoke many altar, sacrifice and offering laws at exactly the same time he have the 10 commandments: Exodus 20:21-26
- Sabbatarians would say that the “foremost” moral law, to love God and your neighbour as yourself, was not spoken verbally and personally by God. Matthew 22:36-40. This alone proves that the “verbal/personal” argument is invalid!
- God verbally and personally spoke to many from Adam to Moses regarding burnt offerings: Cain and Abel’s offerings
- God verbally and personally spoke the land promise: Genesis 17:8
- God verbally and personally spoke the law of circumcision: Genesis 17:10
- God verbally and personally spoke to all these: Job 38:1; 42:7; 1 Kings 19:9,12; 1 Samuel 23:12; 30:8,10; Exodus 33:11; Numbers 12:8; Deuteronomy 5:3
- The Bible nowhere teaches that things verbally, personally or handwritten by God are eternal!
- Sabbatarian argument: The Sabbath is moral and sacred inherently in itself
- Other than merely stating this, what proof do Sabbatarians offer??? None! But we can prove otherwise!
- The seventh day (Sabbath) was sanctified not because it was inherently moral, but because God rested on that day! The seventh day was not the Sabbath because it was the seventh day, but because God declared it to be and MADE it holy above the other six days of the week after he rested on it!
- The day itself did not make it holy, resting on it did not make it holy, but God blessing and hallowing it did. Thus its holiness did not come from its own nature but from an act of God in blessing and hallowing it.
- In this regard, the seventh day is no more inherently “holy” than any of the other special Jewish holy days that God blessed and set apart in the Law of Moses.
Jesus broke the Sabbath without sin in John 5:18