Sabbatarians falsely argue that the Sabbath is an eternal sign between God and Christians.
Since the Sabbath is a sign between God and Christians we must therefore keep the Sabbath today! The problem is that animal blood and circumcision are also spoken of as “eternal signs” between God and his People too! According to Adventist logic, circumcision and animal sacrifices should be practices along with the Sabbath.
The Sabbath was a sign only for Fleshly Jews, never Christians!
A. The Sabbath was a sign between God and Israel ONLY! Ex 31:13-17
- Ezekiel 20:12 “And also I gave them My Sabbaths to be a sign between Me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord who sanctifies them.
- Since the Sabbath is a sign between God and Israel, there is nothing requiring non-Jewish Christians to keep it!
- Why did not never command any Gentiles to keep it in either the Old Testament OR THE NEW TESTAMENT?
B. Three signs of the Old Covenant between God and Fleshly Jews:
- Circumcision a sign between God and Jews: “And you shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be the sign of the covenant between Me and you.” (Gen 17:11)
- Passover blood a sign between God and Jews: “And the blood shall be a sign for you on the houses where you live” (Ex 12:13)
- Sabbath a sign between God and Jews: Ex 31:13-17; Ezek 20:12
C. Sabbatarians Shoot themselves in the foot and are not consistent:
- What reason do Sabbatarians give for not keeping the sign of circumcision?
Sabbatarian answer: “because it was a sign only to Abraham and the Jews, not Christians”
- What reason do Sabbatarians give for not keeping the sign of Passover blood?
Sabbatarian answer: “because it was a sign only for the Jews in Egypt, not Christians”
- Why should Christians not keep the sign of the Sabbath?